Monday, December 10, 2012

Quarter-Life Crisis

So my coworker sent me this article from Essence Magazine... I used to subscribe to Essence until I realized that I am poor and have to come up with a serious retirement plan. Anyway, this article gave me life and I wanted to share it with you, YES YOU! 

Is this you: a twenty-something who feels she should be well on her path to marriage and career and financial security, but instead you feel anxious, disappointed and helpless? Of course this is me, I have been in 7 weddings in the last two years. My professional life is AMAZING, just joking. It's ok, it could be better. Did someone say financial security? I am going back to the original plan (MARRY RICH). Today, I am actually feeling great. But on any given day I can be feeling anxious, disappointed, and/or maybe both. Never really feeling helpless, I love Jesus. 

Welcome to your quarter-life crisis. Oh yeaaaa, quarter life! Everyone who has ever amounted to anything has been there. Just breathe. You will be fine, even if doesn't feel like it today (or tomorrow). Here's some advice from fly women who faltered before they flew to get you through the rough patches with grace.

  • Nurture Your Spirit
Learn to meditate or pray. "There is no right or wrong way to pray," says Dee Marshall, a life coach and founder of girlfriendspray.org. "It's more important to simply pray, pray often and pray proactively rather than reactively after life throws you a blow." I must admit, I don't pray enough. I don't make enough time for God. So sad how he has become my backup plan. I rather chill with everyone else than to chill with the one who has always held me down, who gives me peace, who is understanding, sees right through the fascade, and loves me anyway. Game Plan: 

  • Ask For Help
Some women think asking for an assist is a sign of weakness. If you're one of those women, abandon that mind-set now. It takes a village to do a lot of things well. Rally the troops to tackle the big assignment at work or to give you a weekend off from motherhood. "The idea that you can give 100 percent in two places at once is a myth," says Thembisa S. Mshaka, an author and married mom of two. "Superwoman may be accomplished, but she's often lonely and exhausted." What happens when you ask for help and don't receive it? What happens when the people closet to you know that you are overwhelmed and chooses not to lend a helping hand. 

  • Be Fearless
Just take that first step in the direction of your dreams and things will slowly fall into place," says Claire Sulmers. In 2006 Sulmers, a die-hard fashionista, launched a fashion blog as a hobby. Fashionbombdaily.com is now one of the leading fashion destinations for women of color and has landed Sulmers introductions to her favorite designers and an entrĂ©e to fashion shows across the globe. Oh yea of little faith. I have and have been FEARLESS, especially in 2012. There's no stopping me now. 

  • Remember Trouble Doesn't Last
During those moments while you're in that deep, dark hole you fell into -- job loss, bank accounts in the red, heartbreak, bad credit, bad decisions -- it won't feel like it can get better, but know that it will. "Don't pray for a miracle, pray for a plan," says publicist Christina Rice. "A plan will ensure your tomorrow will be better than it is today." Singing, "trouble don't last always." I don't understand why sometimes I have selective amnesia. Forgetting that he always takes care of things. It has rained, poured, damned near drowned in flood waters in my life on many occasions, but I'm still standing. 

  • Spend Your Time And Money On Experiences, Not Just Things
In ten years you won't remember whatever big-ticket item that's in your closet now, nor are you likely to be wearing it. And what's worse, it probably won't be worth much. If you're going to break the bank, why not take an international trip? "Constant change of pace, new scenery and unpredictable adventures keep me nimble," says marketing maven Johnica Reed, who has visited six continents and racked up countless sky miles. "I see more of myself as I see more of the world." Or you could give to charity. There's a lot of need out there, and though it may sound selfish, studies say being generous can make you feel better. I have never been one to buy many things for me, I am by nature a spoiler of people. I love to make people happy and their happiness becomes my happiness. 

While you may be in your Quarter-Life crisis at this very moment, I urge you to be positive. Things aren't that bad. You will be OK. I've learning to take one day at a time and to make the next day even better than the last. Small Steps are better than not taking any steps at all. If you have a choice between smiling and frowning, choose to smile. Choose to be happy and to dance during the rain/storms in your life. Choose to trust the process. Trust God during the process. Lastly, try to enjoy the process. Quarter Life Crisis not going to get the best of me. 


Signed

-Santra D.

No comments:

Post a Comment