Tuesday, February 5, 2013

President Obama's Second Inauguration: January 21, 2013

I told you all I was going, didn't I? This girl is on fire!

My weekend in Washington, D.C. and Richmond, Virginia was well needed. Fact of the matter is that I need to be around Progressive People! No ifs, ands, or buts about it. I need to be around people who want to make a difference in this world. People who are service minded and believe in collective effort for real change. People who find joy in standing in the cold to make history and not for a lil wayne/ rick ross/ jeezy concert.  I need to be around people who ideas of fun incorporates all forms of arts. I love music/bands, I love poetry, I enjoy Broadway productions and museums. I enjoy reading just for fun. I enjoy discussing politics and and the state of the the Haitian diaspora. I love the message of hope in Christ and how we can help to change people's lives through it. These are a few of the things that make me feel the most purposeful and genuinely happy in life.

Visiting DC and Richmond brought this to light for me.... South Florida is not really cutting it for me. I dare to believe that I was born for a greater purpose. I am a do-gooder. I am a natural born leader. I can't help but to get involved. I need to be involved. I need to stay connected. I need to be around like minded people.

On to my weekend of events... On Friday I flew into Richmond, VA and met up with my childhood friend Diana. Diana, Diana!  A woman with a purpose. We are destined to be business partners. This wasn't luck. Reconnecting is part of a master plan.  We will see what the future has and store for two beautiful,  intelligent, task-goal oriented, well spoken, and well mannered Haitian-American Women. Did I mention, I think Richmond is nice as well.

Saturday we left for D.C., checked into the beautiful Hyatt Hotel in Arlington.  We went out for a night on the town. Had a great night :)



On Sunday, we visited the National Mall. It was my first time visit the monument for Martin Luther King, Jr. It was a site to see. There were thousands of people there as well. The monument is absolutely beautiful. The many quotes he used is his speeches surrounds the actual monument. He was a remarkable man.


Monday was the Inauguration. We got up at 5:00am to get ready. It was freezing cold. But Presiden't Obama's speech and the entire ceremony was well worth it. He really has a beautiful family. The girls have grown up so much. Malia is a character, lol.   Beyonce did her thing and so did Kelly Clarkson. The poem was the only part of it that I was like whatever.  President Obama's speech gave me life. WE THE PEOPLE! He spoke about Women's wages, Immigration, Youth and Young Professionals, and just hope for  some sort of decency before Christ returns, at least that was my biggest take away. Biggest crowd I have ever been in. Felt a little nervous on a few occasions.





Final Thoughts: I came across so many positive people while in DC. I thought about the people that I know that live in the area. They are doing great work, impactful work, they are helping to change the lives of people and to leave this world a better place.

Question to myself is: How many Obama's do I know in life? Do I know any Michelle's, Hilary's, Martin Luther King's, Peter's (Biblical Reference), Oprah's, Mother Teresa's?  Do I surround myself with these types of people on a regular basis? This year I will do my best to navigate more towards the do-gooders, the leaders, the active and engaged folks, the CHANGE-MAKERS!

Once in a Lifetime Experience.

Signed,
Pieces of Me



No comments:

Post a Comment