Thursday, July 5, 2012

The List: 30 Before 30


For as long as I can remember I have always held some type of leadership position: Sabbath School teacher, Senior Class Secretary, Sabbath School Director, Youth Director, Political Action Chair, and President of numerous organizations and groups. It just comes naturally, I get it from my momma. I am a planner/organizer. I enjoy making things happen: parties, trips, productions, weddings, showers you name it. I don't know how it got started and/or why but I enjoy it (most of the time). One of the many reasons I have been successful in these leadership roles is because I am very process oriented. I believe in systems thinking and the use of processes. They just make sense. They make your life easier. With that being said, I am trying use the same process/systems thinking in my personal life. If you want to accomplish your goals, plan, plan, and plan so more (Vision Board posting coming soon). Don't get me wrong, I am not rigid, very far from that. I can dig spontaneity, just not all the time.

Being process oriented can also make you very critical and never really satisfied. In the past year or so I have managed to have at least four mid-life crises. I have become very critical of myself and often times don't give myself enough credit. Sometimes we're just too hard on ourselves. We have to force ourselves to take a step back and bask in our achievements, pat ourselves on the back, and say "SELF, YOU ROCK! Santra D., you rock!" With this being said, I have so much I want to accomplish and I'm going to use processes and systems thinking to do just that. I know God has the ultimate say so in the happenings of my life (I'm working on fully allowing him to lead), but I'm jumping on the bandwagon. I have made my list. What list you ask? My 30 things to accomplish before 30.



  1. Family trip to Haiti.
  2. Travel to Europe, Africa, and more Islands of the Caribbean
  3. Get a promotion.
  4. Start Scholarship Fund in honor of the Late Mona B. Denis.
  5. Take a Mission Trip
  6. Read 30 New Books
  7. Cook/Bake 30 New Meals
  8. Learn 30 New Hymns
  9. Memorize 30 New Scriptures
  10. Learn to speak conversational Spanish and french
  11. Learn to swim and go Snorkeling, Jet-Skiing, and Para-Sailing.
  12. Write a will.
  13. Run a marathon, I repeat RUN
  14. Go on a Cross-Country- All American Road Trip: to include camping (yes camping, thinking grand canyon) and resorts (California)
  15. Invest, buy stock
  16. Go apple everything. I have an I-Phone, just need an I-PAD and a mac book.
  17. Buy my first home (townhouse).
  18. Romantic Hot Air balloon with champagne date
  19. Register and take a Ballroom dancing class.
  20. Move to a new city: Maryland, Atlanta, Houston, or another city in Florida.
  21. Ride a motorcycle (moped doesn't count).
  22. Attend the Kentucky Derby wearing a Huge Hat.
  23. Go vegetarian for a month.
  24. Garden: Grow my own herbs, fruits, and veggie (small scale).
  25. Master a 5-Course Gourmet Meal
  26. Learn to drive a manual car (stick shift).
  27. Enjoy the Arts: Museums, Galleries, Theatres, Concerts, Gardens: Essence Music Festival (New Orleans), Art Bazzle (Miami), Wine and Food Festival (Miami), Japanese Garden, just to name a few.
  28. Mail a card to someone different every month telling them how much they mean to me (family and close friends).
  29. Receive and Demand Love at the Level that I give it and Take Risks with Love... LOVE, ENGAGEMENT, MARRIAGE
  30. Extravagant 30th Birthday Party (MTV's Sweet 16 doesn't have nothing on me, ohh except money: operation marry a millionaire is in full affect).

Wish me luck! I will keep you all updated.
Signed, Pieces of Me,
-Santra Denis


2 comments: