Monday, July 2, 2012

Growing Leaders and An Evening with President Obama

At least once a week someone asks the infamous question, "Where do you work and what do you do again?" If I had a dollar every time I was asked the infamous question, I would have purchased my Range Rover already. PAY WHAT YOU OWE, family members and close friends!

While my background is Public Health Policy & Management, God works in mysterious ways! Currently, I am a program manager for Public Allies Miami. Public Allies is an AmeriCorps national program that partners young adults (18 and up) with local non-profits in their communities. We believe that everyone leads and that leadership is diverse in all aspects. I am the lead on a rigorous training curriculum and I coach 10-12 allies on personal and professional development. I like to believe that I help grow  young leaders. Through them, I will be famous one day, you better believe it. Public Allies Miami has its many perks. Through Public Allies I have traveled (Milwaukee, Baltimore, Key Biscayne), gone on retreats in the Keys (awesomeness), gone camping (not so fun, resorts>camping), and I have been forced to remain current and learn best practices. Public Allies is a wonderful program. Sometimes I wish I was an ally. Random fact of the day: Michelle Obama was the Director for Public Allies Chicago (please view enclosed video below).
Public Allies Miami Class of 2012
The latest and greatest Public Allies Miami perk was my evening with President Barack Obama. How did I come across the tickets you ask? Well Mr. President and my uncle go way back... The truth: One of my Allies won a free ticket to see President Obama and could not attend so she offered me, her program manager, the free ticker. You better believed I cancelled all my plans for the evening, went shopping for a pantsuit (Classy Woman) so I would be on point for my once in a lifetime encounter with the President.
Allow me to share my experience...

The event was supposed to start at 6:30pm. I arrived at 4:30, wanted to make it before the masses. Miami Beach traffic is ridiculous during rush hour. Smart Idea, if I may so myself. After my two hour wait, we finally took our seats at the Fillmore Miami Beach at Jackie Gleason Theater. Marc Anthony opened up for the President. He did an awesome job. While I didn't understand most of his music, one of the many reason's I am registering to take a course in Spanish this summer, I was jamming! He truly is an awesome entertainer. He dances, he sings, and the audience loved him. Now I understand what the hype is all about. He is definitely a Papi Chulo!
Finally, the president’s speech. First, can I tell you that just like so many others, President Obama is an inspiration to me. I secretly want to ask First Lady Michelle for some dating tips. How to land a president, lol. Anyway, President Obama is an awesome speaker/facilitator. When he speaks, he invokes a sense of hope and belief. President Obama spoke to his gains: Obamacare, signed legislation to stop student loan interest rates from doubling, tax reform, and how we have a long way to go. He ended his speech stating/singing, "Signed, Sealed, Delivered.. I'm yours. That man has so much charisma. 
Sadly, after hearing the president's speech I thought about how different he was now. He was such a visionary back in 2008. Honestly, during the speech he wasn't as vibrant and hopeful as I was used to seeing him and/or as he was in 08. I couldn't help but notice how he seemed a little bit defeated. I can't even imagine the amount of ridicule and scrutiny he has endured these last four years. Mental note:Pray for President Obama and his family! 
Nothing is more defeating then a vision met with opposition. It kills the spirit of the visionary. It pains you deep down in your soul. Being the reflective/over-analyzer that I am, I immediately started to think about my own life. Lately, Ive been thinking about whether or not moving down to South Florida was the best decision for me. The end of July will mark four years since I've been back in Fort Lauderdale. While I have accomplished so much, there is so much more that I want to accomplish. My mentor shared her five year goal plans with me prior to graduating with my Bachelors and I willingly accepted the challenge to raise the bar and master another level every five years. Thinking about the next steps keep me up at night. I wish my thoughts had an on-off button. I pretty much have one year to make major moves. Can you say STRESSED OUT? I am not where I dreamed that I would be. I must refocus and get out of my own way. I sure President Obama goes through the motions and rethinks many of his decisions. But he made a vow to us, the American people! 

Writing my own vows…

I, Santra Denis, vow to continue to dream big and never settle for less (professionally and personally). I vow to not let the opposition get to me, to not let people box-me-in and drown my dreams and visions. The truth is I'm an undercover scary cat/punk. I vow to pay as much attention to myself as I do others. I vow to believe in myself and to be my own cheerleader and hype-woman, not depending on others for that extra push. I vow to not let fear of the unknown cripple my professional and personal life (Lord, have mercy). I vow to always be true to myself and to trust my instincts. I vow not to get distracted and lose sight. I vow to always go back to the heart of the matter. I dream of a happy, loving (reciprocal), engaging, fulfilling, and purpose-driven life (professionally and personally)… I vow to continue to chase after the life I have dreamed of until I am living it!
Thank you President Obama for the well needed REALITY CHECK.

I still believe that President Obama is the best candidate for the job. I am so grateful for the chance to have been in a room with such amazing people for an amazing experience.
“Live your dreams, it’s not as hard as it may seem.”

Waiting for President Obama
with two of my beautiful Allies!
President Obama at Miami International Airport
President Obama's stage!
Free tickets + President Obama=
Experience of a Lifetime
The Fillmore and all the wonderful attendees for
An evening with the President!



3 comments:

  1. Well spoken well put together...Love your vow, Go the distance.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for reading and commenting Chris. <3 ya!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow great read. Truly inspirational and don't worry with God by your side you will accomplish your goals!

    ReplyDelete