Friday, October 19, 2012

PASSION #30WriteNow

TWO WORDS: OPRAH WINFREY!
 
Not too long ago, I updated my facebook status to say "Move over Oprah Winfrey, Michelle Obama is my new role model."
 
I LIED!
 
Oprah Winfrey and First Lady Michelle Obama are tied for first place in my heart and life as far as role model for professional African American women . On Sunday evening I happened to be surfing channels and remembered that Building a Dream: The Oprah Winfrey Leadership Academy for Girls, where Oprah shares her mission to create her Leadership Academy for Girls in South Aftica and tells the stories of the some of the girls was showing that night . Let me tell you, I was nothing but waterworks while watching the entire show. Seriously, I don't want to waste my life. I was going through the motions ya'll, was all in my feelings.
I was excited for the opportunity that the young ladies were receiving. I was sad and depressed that so many girls in Africa and other countries around the world are living in such poverty (Lord help me to think of them when I'm being ungrateful and complaining). I was proud that while they had so many obstacles and barriers in their pathways they have taken the high road of hard work. The young ladies proved to be extremely intelligent, well spoken, and took education seriously. Lastly I was hopeful. Hopeful for the future of these young ladies and the countries they represent. Hopeful for my future.
 
Oprah said something that pulled at my heartstrings. She said that for many years people have asked her, why didn't she have children (not that I want some any time soon). She said  she now understood and that it all made sense. She said it's because of the academy. The ladies at the academy were now her children. Aha moment, thank God for Aha moments!Often times God is trying to do big things in our lives. He is holding back your desires, your so called hopes and dreams because you're not even on his level. You have no idea how he is about to use you and bless you in a way that you could have never imagined.  I don't know about you, but I whole heartedly believe that I am destined to be great. There is something special, something unique, that God want's me to accomplish on this earth. Every time I think about it, Haiti and women come to mind. I don't know the specifics but I know he's not done with me and that I am unattached for a specific reason (SPEAK LORD).
 
Oprah is an amazing woman and she is doing amazing work. I only hope that one day in the near future I will be able to start a Santra Denis Leadership Academy for Girls in Haiti...
Write the vision, make it plain.
 
Photo: Benny Gool/Harpo
 
 

1 comment:

  1. yessssss, friend! You are destined for greatness! Write the vision, make it plain.

    ReplyDelete